During this festive season, preparing a Christmas menu that meets the specific needs of an epileptic child while delighting the rest of the family is a challenge. This year, our family is gearing up to celebrate Christmas in the beautiful French countryside, with a menu specially designed to be enjoyed by both those following this special diet and the entire family (in collaboration with Ketocafé).
A tasty Christmas menu
With careful attention to cater to my child’s needs while tantalising everyone’s taste buds, here’s the menu I’ve prepared with utmost care:
Starter: Mackerel and Avocado tartare
Our Christmas meal will commence delicately with a refined tartare combining mackerel and avocado. A harmony of flavours that promises an exquisite gustatory experience for all: mackerel and avocado tartare.
Main course: Heavenly Christmas risotto
Taking center stage for the evening is our Delicious Christmas Risotto . An appetising blend of cauliflower rice, bacon bits, parmesan, and cream, offering an explosion of flavours relished by both my epileptic child and the rest of the family.
Nutritional Value for 1 portion:
- Ratio: 2.7:1
- Calories: 404
- Carbohydrates: 3,3g
- Protein: 10,9g
- Fat: 37g
- 43g cauliflower rice
- 26g whipped cream (without sugar)
- 26g mushrooms
- 17g smoked bacon cubes
- 17g tap water
- 10g olive oil
- 9g parmesan cheese
- 8g unsalted butter
- 5g onion
- 3g egg yolk
- 3g fresh basil
- 1g garlic
- 1g chicken bouillon cube
- 1g Italian herbs
- Start by preparing the ingredients: Peel and chop the garlic and onion. Set them aside in a bowl. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Place them in another bowl.
- Chop the smoked bacon into small pieces and set them aside. Grate the parmesan and keep it in a small bowl.
- Weigh 43g of cauliflower rice and set it aside.
- Measure 17g of tap water and add 1g of chicken bouillon cube to it.
- Weigh 8g of butter and set it aside.
- Crack an egg and keep 3g of egg yolk.
- Finely chop 3g of fresh basil and also weigh the Italian herbs.
- Heat 10g of olive oil in a small thick-bottomed pan. Fry the bacon pieces over low heat until they become translucent. Then add the mushrooms and Italian herbs, and fry for an additional 3 minutes. Place the mushrooms and bacon on a plate, leaving the grease in the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan with the remaining grease and fry the chopped onion and garlic over low heat until they become translucent.
- Add the water with the crumbled bouillon cube and half of the whipped cream to the pan and bring it to a boil while stirring.
- Reduce the heat and add the cauliflower rice. Stir frequently and add a drop of whipped cream each time the risotto becomes drier.
- When the cauliflower rice is creamy and buttery, add the sautéed mushrooms and bacon slices to the pan. Mix everything well.
- Turn off the heat and first add the parmesan, then the egg yolk to the risotto. Continue stirring until the sauce is well combined.
- Serve the creamy cauliflower-mushroom risotto on a plate and garnish with chopped fresh basil. Enjoy your meal!
It’s nice to sprinkle some extra Parmesan cheese over the risotto at the last moment. However, this will affect the ratio and nutritional values. Keep that in mind.
This recipe is intended as a main course for one person. If you want to prepare the dish for multiple people, simply multiply the quantity of each ingredient by the number of people you are cooking for and follow the same recipe.
Dessert: Tarte au Citron
To conclude this feast, a Lemon Tart will bring the perfect tangy and sweet touch to our Christmas meal. The perfect combination of sour and sweet in a delectable French tart.
A Christmas Filled with Love and Care
As a mother of an epileptic child, organising this Christmas holds a significant meaning for me. My aim was to create a menu that could bring the entire family together around the table, allowing everyone to share a festive meal without restrictions, while still respecting the specific needs of my child.
Christmas is a time of togetherness, love and delicious food. Let’s enjoy an unforgettable Christmas together full of delicious food and unmissable moments with family and friends! Happy holidays everyone!